Seven Things Every Aunt Wants Their Niece To Know
The relationship between an aunt and their niece is a special one. An aunt isn’t their niece’s mom – she sees herself more as a friend, or an older sibling, perhaps. She’s not there to get you into trouble or make sure that you’re following the rules. She’s there to talk with you, laugh with you, give you advice, and steer you in the right direction. Here are seven things every aunt wants their niece to know.
- You can talk to me about anything –
- I mean it. No matter what happened, you can come to me and share anything. I’m not here to judge, or to lecture you on your mistakes and how you should behave. I was your age too, once, and I know how you feel. I want to be there for you to come and talk to whenever, about anything. No questions asked. Your parents don’t need to know. I’ll tell you what I think, but I’ll never condemn you.
- Your aunt NEVER lets you forget how much she loves you.
If there’s one thing you never have to doubt, it’s your aunt’s unconditional love. She’ll call you to catch up, or just sometimes to tell you she loves you. Your aunt is your blessing in disguise, your mentor, and a best friend. The bond between you and your aunt is pretty special and undeniable. Never forget to remind your aunt how thankful you are for her, because that woman would do anything for you.
- I know more about life than you might think –
- when you’re a kid, it feels like adults just can’t relate to you. I know, because I felt the same way when I was young. But the truth is, I understand more about your situation than you know. I get it. I feel your pain, and I understand your frustration. You are always justified to feel the way you feel. There’s nothing wrong with that.
- Life is short. Enjoy it –
- the only thing that truly matters is whether or not you’re having fun. You have to live your life in a way that’s right for you. Your life will be over before you know it, so be careful but kick back, relax, and have some fun.
- Do whatever makes you happy –
- as long as you’re not hurting anyone, you can do whatever you want in life. I’ll support you no matter what. If you want to do charity work in Africa, go for it. If you want to be a hair stylist for a living, I’ll back you all the way. All that matters to me is that you’re doing what’s right for you.
- No matter what, I’m here for you –
- it doesn’t matter what you do in life. Right or wrong, no matter how bad things get, I’m here. When you need a place to crash, a lift with no questions asked, or a shoulder to cry on, you can count on me. Anything that you want to remain between us stays between us. You can trust me to keep your confidence.
Never be afraid to be yourself –
You should never feel like you have to be anyone else. You’re you, and that’s enough. It doesn’t matter what people think or how strange you might seem to others; what’s important is how you feel about yourself. Be the person you are, and don’t feel the need to apologise for that.